Monday, January 17, 2011

Chapters 1-3

I have really enjoyed the first three chapters of this book! I could not believe how much I was enjoying this book. I thought at first, when I looked at only the outside cover, that it was going to be a very heavy read about civil rights. Instead, it seems to be a cross between "Everybody Hates Chris" and "The Cosby Show".

The first chapter had me laughing so hard when Byron got his lips stuck to the car mirror that I, like all the other family members, had tears running down my cheeks! Byron is so mean to his brother, that it just seems fair that he should have some sort of pain and embarrassment.

Kenny, on the other hand, is a sweet, quiet, and somewhat introverted little boy. He is in second grade and is paraded around school by his teachers. They all believe that he is the smartest thing, since he can read so fluently. He is bullied by everyone. He does get a small window of escape in some instances, since his brother, Byron, is the "god" of Clark Elementary School.

Then one day his "saver" comes in the form of a country boy named Rufus. Rufus quickly takes his place as being the one bullied. They go along, and then one day Larry Dunn makes a comment on the buss, and Kenny laughs. This sorta puts and end to the friendship. Kenny's mom soon finds out what is going on, and she helps Rufus and Kenny get back together.

This book is so interesting. I did not want to put it down to read my other books for class. I did though, but I might just have to take a few peaks before it is time for the next posting. :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, girl, I know! My husband kept looking at me because I was just cracking up. Finally, he started laughing, too. I guess that just shows that laughter is contagious :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree!! I took the book with me every where I went. I would catch myself laughing out loud and then explaining to people that its the book and they would nodd and laugh back or at me.

    ReplyDelete